Saturday, February 1, 2014

Day +3 - Nora takes over

Before he left, Eoin said to me, "You're not going to like it, but you need to post to the blog every day."  He even told Ainate to remind me and put it on his list of things for me to do each day (more on the list below).  Alas, I'm no Frank, and Eoin was right to preemptively berate me.  When my mom first started this blog I wasn't super into it, but like many of my mom's ideas, I've come to see--weeks, months, sometimes years later--the wisdom in it (I'm guessing this is a mother/daughter thing and not just a Sile-ism).  I've noticed from the comments, emails, texts, and Facebook posts that people are glad to have the blog and to be able to track the progress from afar.  So, here I am.

Also on the aforementioned list (in addition to "fluff pillows" and "turn page in Una book on display"), was an edict to read aloud communications from friends and family.  Yesterday she received FIVE cards in the mail (Nurse Claudia said it was the most she'd seen arrive in one day), and today during a period of relative good feelings we read numerous emails and took in some pictures sent via email and text.  My mom takes great joy in hearing from each of you and all of you missives--no matter how long/short or with picture or without--are much appreciated.

Medically speaking, today was not much different than the last few--feeling crummy with intermittent periods of alertness.  She did manage to rally for a shower and commented that "a clean body and clean clothes always make you feel a little better."  Platelets were down to 14K today.  Like everything else thus far, the drop after the initial post transplant surge is normal.  However, below 15K requires an infusion and that happened this afternoon.  The on-call doctor today said that she expected it to be another week or ten days before my mom turns a corner on the way she feels (this doctor has apparently been at COH for many years and remembers the famous Dr. Cecchi from his time here!).

Finally, I did hear through the grapevine some jokes about Una pictures taking over the blog . . . unlikely to change while I'm in charge.

(Outfit credit goes to Janice!  Thunder thighs courtesy of those good Yiaueki genes!)






4 comments:

  1. Thank you Nora and yes, we DO appreciate the daily updates!!! Una is beautiful.
    Love you Sile…. thinking and sending my very best oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, dear Sile:

    Sheila (the other one) here wishing to continuing courage and tons and tons of healing energy. Did you know that there was a healing circle at QiGong recently and we put your amazing spirit right in the middle so you would receive the maximum healing energy?

    I have come realize that I really look forward to your return to our class in May.

    May the good Lord continue to bless you and your lovely family.

    Hugs, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie in San Diego here. So glad you will be reporting for us, Nora, as we do all want to know how Sile is doing each day. We also want to know how the rest of you are doing, since this is a team effort and one that takes a lot of energy. Please give your mom my love and tell her I have friends from all over praying for her recovery. She is always surrounded by angels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom called the thunder thighs "Krautstompers", they are running n the Roesler genes too.

    ReplyDelete