Sunday, January 26, 2014

Day -3

Eoin here - I drove down yesterday and Nora flew home this morning.

Mom checked into the hospital yesterday afternoon, and was promptly hooked up for 6 hours of hydration before the final round of chemo.  We were told it would be a pretty intense one, but she seemed to handle it fairly well.  After chemo, they gave her platelets, as well as starting her on a regimen of anti-rejection drugs (seems like match.com should invest in some of those!).  Today has been more of the same - various IVs, pills, mouth washes, and the like.  She has been in pretty good form, dozing in the afternoon but no serious bouts of nausea today.

I hadn't been here until yesterday, and was very impressed even on my drive in.  I'm a sucker for appearances, and the lily-lined drive and seemingly iron fountain outside the hospital certainly give a good first impression.  But more importantly, the level of care here has been great.  Our nurse today - Barb - in particular has been wonderful (not to mention she was impressed with me when I made the bed when mom went to the bathroom... and actually found a pill in the bed she hadn't taken!).

The room is big, but otherwise standard for a hospital.  There is a nice large TV (with DVD player and Netflix subscription) that I'm sure we'll utilize down the road.  Given how strict they need to be with germs, caregivers/guests need to wear masks and gloves in the room.  I'm calling this Hospital Couture (at least in my mind).  Also forgive the Convery Bullock children's lack of originality in the pics below.

Tomorrow and Tuesday should, in theory, be like today - no more big rounds of chemo planned, just the countdown to Wednesday!




1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate hearing from you and I like the details. You and Nora look fashionable in your masks. you must be so strong. How do you do it? Best wishes from our family to yours.

    ReplyDelete